Tuesday 25 August 2015

2015/16 TV Season: The Shows I'll (Probably) Be Watching...

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Hey, everyone! It's been another slow week here, sorry, but I've been maxed out with some exciting Frame Rated developments and real-world concerns. And besides, I'm sure you're all aware there's not much happening in the world of TV and film right now. I've been using the time to catch up with Rectify, actually—the Sundance Channel drama about a man on Death Row given an unexpected reprieve two decades into his sentence. Three seasons have already been made, but they only amount to 22 episodes, so it felt like an easy enough catch-up before the September-October wave of TV crashes ashore. And with that in mind...

Of the returning shows, I'm going to be watching From Dusk till Dawn (Netflix, 26 Aug) to see how that story's going to continue beyond the original film's ending; Doctor Who (BBC1, 19 Sep) of course; Gotham (Fox, 21 Sep) to see if there's any sign of an overhaul or rethink; The Last Man on Earth (Fox, 27 Sep) because I'm curious where they'll take this seemingly limited idea; Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (ABC, 29 Sep) for the breezy fun it delivers; The Affair (Showtime, 4 Oct) out of a weird curiosity to see if it manages to sustain past a one-season idea; Homeland (Showtime, 4 Oct) once again, The Leftovers (HBO, 4 Oct) because it's beautifully gloomy; the awesome The Flash (The CW, 6 Oct); Arrow (The CW, 7 Oct) while hoping for a successful course correction; The Walking Dead (AMC, 11 Oct) because it's a love-hate thing we have going on; Fargo (FX, 12 Oct) with my fingers crossed it doesn't 'do a True Detective'; and sadly overlooked 1900s medical drama The Knick (Cinemax, 16 Oct).

Of the new shows, I suspect I'll definitely watch Fear the Walking Dead (AMC, 23 Aug) to see if it can improve on its parent series; Narcos (Netflix, 28 Aug) because subscribers jump on exclusive content like rats on cheese; The Bastard Executioner (FX, 16 Sep) because I'm curious about it; Blindspot (NBC, 21 Sep) for five episodes or so; the Limitless (CBS, 22 Sep) premiere as a taster; maybe The Muppets (ABC, 22 Sep) although I'm not especially attached to those characters; Scream Queens (Fox, 22 Sep) because I'd like a good Scream TV show and Scream: The Series wasn't it; Heroes Reborn (NBC, 24 Sep) because it was a seminal show in DMD's early days; Red Oaks (Amazon, 9 Oct) because this tennis comedy-drama's pilot was decent; the very endearing and handsomely-made Supergirl (CBS, 26 Oct); Quantico's (ABC, 27 Sep) pilot episode; Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz, 31 Oct) because the trailer made me so incredibly happy; and American Horror Story: Hotel (FX, 7 Oct) because I'm a masochist.

The shows I can envisage reviewing here, if they prove worthy of the weekly effort, would be Fargo, Fear the Walking Dead, Ash vs. Evil Dead, Homeland, Heroes Reborn, Scream Queens and Doctor Who. A few of those may become Frame Rated exclusives.

What are YOU going to be watching? Anything I've missed?